Not Fried Chicken
- 5 Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 600ml Buttermilk
- 1 Clove Garlic, Crushed
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt Flakes
- 6 Cups (420g) Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme Leaves
- 1½ Teaspoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt Flakes, extra
- Store-bought Pickled Cucumbers, halved, to serve
- Lemon Wedges, to serve
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Wholegrain Mustard
- Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Zucchinis, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 80g Wild Rocket
Place the chicken in a glass bowl or plastic container. Place the buttermilk, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4–6 hours or overnight.
Place the breadcrumbs, thyme, paprika, five-spice and the extra salt in a large bowl and mix to combine.
Preheat oven grill to medium. Line an oven tray with aluminium foil. Remove the chicken, 1 piece at a time, from the buttermilk mixture, leaving a generous coating. Press each side of the chicken into the crumb mixture, ensuring the chicken is well coated, and place on the tray. Cook for 8–10 minutes each side or until well browned and cooked through.
To make the slaw, place the oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the zucchini and rocket and gently toss to combine.
Serve with pickles and lemon wedges.
Slaw can be made ahead of time – dress with the oil mixture just before serving. If taking to your picnic, transport the oil mixture in a jar and stir through the vegetables just prior to serving.